Angol tanar
Mark Barratt
2004-09-17 11:57:03 UTC
Hi.

I'm sorry if this isn't permitted on hun.nyelv, but I'll keep it
brief:

Native British English speaker and CELTA qualified English teacher
seeks work in or near Budapest. Contact <***@enternet.hu>.

(Tanulok Magyarul de kezdo vagyok)
--
Koszonom szepen,
Mark Barratt
Kiss Gabor
2004-09-23 11:28:14 UTC
Post by Mark Barratt
I'm sorry if this isn't permitted on hun.nyelv, but I'll keep it
Native British English speaker and CELTA qualified English teacher
(Tanulok Magyarul de kezdo vagyok)
Yes this is not a really appropriate group for seeking job.
However if you have questions about (the Hungarian) language post here.

Gabor
Mark Barratt
2004-09-24 01:54:21 UTC
<My job advert snipped>
Post by Kiss Gabor
Yes this is not a really appropriate group for seeking job.
However if you have questions about (the Hungarian) language post here.
Thank you for your response. I have hundreds of questions about the
Hungarian language, though as yet I can only pose them in English,
which is probably not appropriate in this newsgroup.

If you are interested in one such question, you might like to look
at this thread in the newsgroup alt.usage.english:

<http://tinyurl.com/5jabv>

(That leads to a Google groups page containing the thread. You may
respond here if you have any comment and I will cross-post it into
a.u.e)
--
Viszlát,
Mark Barratt
1025 Budapest
Kiss Gabor
2004-09-24 08:08:31 UTC
Post by Kiss Gabor
However if you have questions about (the Hungarian) language post here.
Thank you for your response. I have hundreds of questions about the=20
Hungarian language, though as yet I can only pose them in English,=20
which is probably not appropriate in this newsgroup.
Just try it. :-)
Indeed!
If you are interested in one such question, you might like to look=20
<http://tinyurl.com/5jabv>
I had a look at it.
It is really funny.

Gabor
Mark Barratt
2004-09-24 10:05:39 UTC
Post by Kiss Gabor
Post by Kiss Gabor
However if you have questions about (the Hungarian) language post here.
Thank you for your response. I have hundreds of questions about the=20
Hungarian language, though as yet I can only pose them in English,=20
which is probably not appropriate in this newsgroup.
Just try it. :-)
Indeed!
Nem értek.
Post by Kiss Gabor
If you are interested in one such question, you might like to look=20
<http://tinyurl.com/5jabv>
I had a look at it.
It is really funny.
És vélémenye van? (I hope that means "And your opinion is?")
--
Regards,
Mark Barratt
Zoltan Manyoki
2004-09-24 11:32:16 UTC
Mark Barratt wrote:
Post by Mark Barratt
És vélémenye van? (I hope that means "And your opinion is?")
Wrong guess. From a native speaker, the above sentence would be sort of
arrogant. Something like: "And, do you have an opinion? (Otherwise
keep your mouth shut.)"

Zoltan
Mark Barratt
2004-09-24 12:52:23 UTC
Post by Zoltan Manyoki
Post by Mark Barratt
És vélémenye van? (I hope that means "And your opinion is?")
Wrong guess. From a native speaker, the above sentence would be sort of
arrogant. Something like: "And, do you have an opinion? (Otherwise
keep your mouth shut.)"
Köszönöm. But it would help if you would suggest a better
alternative.
--
Regards,
Mark Barratt
Michael Hemmer
2004-09-24 15:25:22 UTC
Post by Mark Barratt
Post by Zoltan Manyoki
Post by Mark Barratt
És vélémenye van? (I hope that means "And your opinion is?")
It's "véleménye" - mind your accents! :-) (As -mény is an element to be
found in quite a number of nouns, it's especially important to keep its
orthography in mind.)
Post by Mark Barratt
Post by Zoltan Manyoki
Wrong guess. From a native speaker, the above sentence would be sort of
arrogant. Something like: "And, do you have an opinion? (Otherwise
keep your mouth shut.)"
Köszönöm. But it would help if you would suggest a better
alternative.
I'd have written "És mi a véleménye(d) [róla = of it]?", where -e is the
formal and -ed is the familiar form of address.

"Van" (he/she/it is) is omitted when used as a copulative verb. When
present, it says "there is ..." or "... exists" (or "... is located
..."). Together with "véleménye", you were literally asking "Is there an
opinion of yours? or "Does your opinion exist?" (This is the Hungarian
way of paraphrasing "to have", which has no direct equivalent.)

Michael
(not a native speaker either, so beware ...)
Zoltan Manyoki
2004-09-24 22:01:01 UTC
Post by Mark Barratt
Post by Zoltan Manyoki
Post by Mark Barratt
És vélémenye van? (I hope that means "And your opinion is?")
Wrong guess. From a native speaker, the above sentence would be sort of
arrogant. Something like: "And, do you have an opinion? (Otherwise
keep your mouth shut.)"
Köszönöm. But it would help if you would suggest a better
alternative.
ok. but next time you should do your homework ;-)

"and your opinion is?" ~~ "és mi a te véleményed?" although this
does not have that open endedness like yours in english. another variant
could be: "és szerinted?"

on another note: in the internet, one normally uses the 2nd person
(te=you) instead of the formal 3rd one (ön=you).

this way "és véleményed van?" would be more appropriate grammatically.

zoltán
Mark Barratt
2004-09-25 04:38:32 UTC
Post by Zoltan Manyoki
Post by Mark Barratt
Köszönöm. But it would help if you would suggest a better
alternative.
ok. but next time you should do your homework ;-)
This *is* my homework ;-)
Post by Zoltan Manyoki
"and your opinion is?" ~~ "és mi a te véleményed?" although this
does not have that open endedness like yours in english. another variant
could be: "és szerinted?"
Thanks.
Post by Zoltan Manyoki
on another note: in the internet, one normally uses the 2nd person
(te=you) instead of the formal 3rd one (ön=you).
I did wonder about that.
Post by Zoltan Manyoki
this way "és véleményed van?" would be more appropriate grammatically.
OK. A question about this group. On usenet, only 7-bit ASCII
encoding is standard and guaranteed to be readable by everyone. To
type Hungarian diacritics requires the ISO 8859-2 character set and
either 8-bit or quoted-printable encoding.

Another option (which I personally don't like, except that it's
probably advisable in the subject line) is simply to omit the
diacritics.

Looking at previous postings with Google groups, I see instances of
all of these. What is preferred? Does the group have a charter
which specifies this?

Thanks to Zoltán and Michael for the replies.
--
Regards,
Mark Barratt
Kiss Gabor
2004-09-27 10:10:52 UTC
OK. A question about this group. On usenet, only 7-bit ASCII=20
encoding is standard and guaranteed to be readable by everyone. To=20
type Hungarian diacritics requires the ISO 8859-2 character set and=20
either 8-bit or quoted-printable encoding.
Technical notes:
- 8-bit is better than QP.
- ISO 8859-1 is also acceptable. Use u with caret and o with tilde
for special Hungarian characters o/u with hungarumlaut.
- If you prefer ASCII you can use the so called flying accents:
a' e' i' o' o: o" u' u: u"

Gabor
Kiss Gabor
2004-09-27 10:13:37 UTC
Post by Kiss Gabor
However if you have questions about (the Hungarian) language post here=
.
Post by Kiss Gabor
=20
Thank you for your response. I have hundreds of questions about the=3D2=
0
Post by Kiss Gabor
Hungarian language, though as yet I can only pose them in English,=3D20
which is probably not appropriate in this newsgroup.
=20
Just try it. :-)
Indeed!
Nem =E9rtek.
[Say "Nem értem". "Nem értek" refers to an indefinite object.]

I mean just test knowledge, helpfulness, and cooperation of
readers of this group.

Gabor
Kiss Gabor
2004-09-27 10:16:20 UTC
Post by Kiss Gabor
If you are interested in one such question, you might like to look=3D20
=20
<http://tinyurl.com/5jabv>
=20
I had a look at it.
It is really funny.
=C9s v=E9l=E9menye van? (I hope that means "And your opinion is?")
The similarity of "egészségedre" and "egész seggedre" is just
a source of humour for me but I don't think it is a cardinal question.
Maybe I lost the matter of the thread. So I don't remember what
was the original problem.

Gabor